Crazy beginnings can give birth to wonderful results. A humble door front at 826 Valencia Street in San Francisco takes you into a wild pirate-themed store. Step beyond the store and you find where the real magic begins in this free afterschool drop-in writing and tutoring center. 826 Valencia also offers workshops and field trips for students and educators.
This successful program has spawned other efforts in other cities, each with its own wacky themed store front:
- 826 Valencia, San Francisco – Pirates!
- 826 Seattle – Space Travel Supply Store
- 826NYC, in New York – Brooklyn Superhero Supplies
- 826Chicago – The Boring Store (for surveillance and more)
- 826 Michigan, in Ann Arbor – the Monsters Union
- 826LA, in Los Angeles – Time Travel
If you’re not lucky enough to live in one of these towns, be sure to visit. And there’s also 826 National, where you can learn more about the entire program.